Saturday 19 December 2009

Octopus

Another day sat around in a hospital. Nearly said wasted but it wasn't. Saw Maddie F_Smith in the IV suite and she nearly found a vein for me, but I apparently send them into spasms so they are difficult to locate.
I have been feeling up and then down this last week. Mostly asleep, but then I have wakeful surges when I feel strongly that I should do something but cannot summon the energy to achieve anything. I am very concious that Christmas approaches and for the second year running I haven't been able to get out to choose presents for my family.So they have chosen for themselves.
My house cannot get warm enough for my lungs right night now, and I go to bed freezing and wake up in the early hours really cold too. A discussion is raging right now about the positive and negatives of an electric blanket, and Melanie feels that because of her hot flushes it is better for me to be a bit cold than for her to get a tiny bit extra hot. I can see that this might end in separate beds, but I don't want to go down that path. Hot water bottles are not right as they touch her during the night, and cause her to wake up being attacked by an octopus. I insist on the heating being left on 24 hours a day, so the octopus should have dried up at night.
I now have enough morphine to last for a few weeks, and am hoping that I have the pain under control soon. Need to get this under control before the rugby starts, as Quick Sketch and I are off to watch grown men get injured at Twickenham.(Confirmation just came through) I am looking forward to being well enough to go out, and he is looking forward to being driven about by a world class driver......well, perhaps not, perhaps he is looking forward to seeing the Great Irish men of the age triumphing over the weak and puny Englishmen of the age. Either way, it will be a good day out and something to look forward to other than hospitals and being accused of raising octopus during the day just to torment her at night.

1 comment:

  1. Electric blankets come in two halves. You can sleep sauna like while Melanie sleeps in the frozen tundra. Each side of the bed is controlled seperately. Alternatively you could have a single electric blanket for just you. Never underestimate the value of being warm at night. Oh, and I guarantee that Mel will gravitate to your side of the bed on a cold night and plant frozen feet on the back of your calves.

    I am greatly looking forward to watching the mighty English crush the puny Irish using the funny shaped ball.

    ReplyDelete